Bishop’s Mint

Show subpages

The mint was built by Charles of Lichtenstein in 1665, and in the summer of the following year the first coins were minted. Not only did the usual production of coins start, but quality workers were able to plasticize the coin or medal. At the end of the 18th century, the activity of the mint was terminated by order of Empress Maria Theresa. Due to non-maintenance and static failures, the building reached an emergency condition, but it was successfully reconstructed and since 1998 it has been registered in the monument fund of the city monument reserve in Kroměříž. The bishop’s mint houses the most important collection of church mintings in the world after the Vatican collection. It numbers 10,126 pieces and visitors are also allowed to take advantage of the offer provided by a separate numismatic exhibition in the mint building.

Vytvořil | Předvolby cookies