It is the heart of the historic part of Kroměříž. It was founded by the Bishop of Olomouc, Bruno of Schauenburg, in the second half of the 13th century as a new marketplace with an area of 1 ha. The dominant feature of the square is the Baroque Marian column, which was built after the plague epidemic in 1680. Also interesting is the fountain from 1655, built as part of the city’s water supply system. The burgher and chapter houses with arcades have mostly preserved early Baroque facades and a typical Renaissance layout.